Cleaner X455 (6:00am-11:00am) Thursdays
The New York City School Support Service provides custodial support to the New York City Public Schools. Our goal is to provide these services professionally to ensure each public school facility meets every child’s needs.
Under direct supervision, cleaners perform routine cleaning and maintenance tasks. Cleaners are responsible for the cleanliness of a section of a school building and care of outside grounds assigned to them, and during school recesses, may perform unskilled maintenance tasks.
Reports to: Custodian Engineer or designated supervisor
- Empties waste baskets and removes trash, dusts, handles towels and other cleaning supplies, washes walls, windows and blackboards, and assists in transporting supplies and equipment.
- Sweeps, mops, waxes, strips, seals, finishes and polishes floors using related equipment as required.
- Steam-cleans, shampoos and vacuums carpets.
- Cleans and polishes furniture and fixtures.
- Sets up, arranges and removes furniture for special affairs.
- Secures windows and doors after cleaning assigned areas.
- Mows and trims lawns and shrubbery, rakes leaves, removes snow and ice, and clears debris from school grounds
- Requisitions, receives, and distributes building cleaning supplies, equipment and materials.
- Keeps tools, equipment and work area clean and in good condition.
- Paints areas not requiring specific painting skills and/or knowledge.
- Assists other school custodial staff as required.
- Responds to emergencies.
- Maintains knowledge of Department of Education, Department of Buildings, Environmental Protection Agency, Fire Department of New York, New York SD? codes and protocols.
- Performs related work.
There are no formal educational or experience requirements.
Six months to one year experience in the area of facility janitorial cleaning.
Knowledge of proper use of cleaning chemicals. Knowledge of use and cleaning of power equipment.