Stationary Engineer Q069 (5:00am-1:00pm)
The New York City School Support Service provides custodial support to the New York City Public Schools. Our goal is to provide these services professionally to ensure each public school facility meets every child’s needs.
Under direct supervision, performs the daily operation and maintenance of the buildings heating systems to include, but not limited to high and low pressure steam, hot water boilers, gas fired roof top HVAC systems (reciprocating, centrifugal, absorption, and rotary type air conditioning systems – air and water type cooling towers, chilled and condenser water systems) and all related equipment. This includes fuel oil, electrical, gas, air compressor, water treatment, heating controls (pneumatic and electric) and domestic water systems. Operation and maintenance of pumps, motors and controls for heating, air conditioning, fire prevention and all ventilation systems.
Reports to: Custodian Engineer
- Operates and maintains high and low-pressure steam and hot water boilers, gas fired roof top HVAC systems and all related equipment.
- Tests, maintains and inspects all fire safety equipment, including fire alarms, sprinklers, standpipe systems and related equipment.
- Checks heating and ventilating equipment for proper working order. Repairs, cleans and assists in the maintenance of HVAC equipment.
- Assists with maintaining all building logs (Safety, Fire, Boiler, Maintenance).
- Ensures the availability of all materials, tools, spare parts and other equipment.
- Keeps tools, equipment and work area clean and in good condition.
- Performs general repair and maintenance work, as required.
- Performs related work
- Maintains knowledge of Department of Education, Department of Buildings, Environmental Protection Agency, Fire Department of New York, New York SD codes and protocol
- Three years’ experience working with high and low-pressure steam and hot water boilers and gas fired roof top HVAC systems and related equipment. Satisfactory completion from accredited trade school in the area of boiler operation and HVAC controls may be substituted for 1 year of the required experience.
- General knowledge of plumbing, steam fitting, carpentry, glazing and locksmith.
- Supervision of employees within the related field of custodial care and facility maintenance.
- Working knowledge of facility cleaning and maintenance.
Certificate of Fitness Issued by New York City Fire Department (Building Specific – Must Acquire within 6 months of Employment), valid Refrigeration Engineers License as required by the New York City Fire Department to operate such equipment required by code.
In addition to the above, for certain New York City Public Schools, one or more of the following Certificate of Fitness issued by the New York City Fire Department may be required prior to employment:
- P-99 Low PSI Oil Burner
- S-95 Fire Alarm
- A-35 Air Compressor
- S-12 Citywide Sprinkler
- S-13 Citywide Standpipe
- Air Pollution (EPA)
EEO Statement: NYCSSSNYCSSS provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements. NYCSSS complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
NYCSSS expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Additional Statement: Per New York State Law, NYCSSS will NOT seek any past salary history from any applicant or job candidate. NYCSSS holds the right to inquire about an applicant or job candidate salary expectations for any NYCSSS advertised job, position and/or role.