Fireperson M013 (4:00pm-8:00pm) Mon/ Wed
The New York City School Support Service provides custodial support to the New York City Public Schools. Our goal is to provide these services professionally to ensure each public school facility meets every child’s needs.
Under close supervision, performs work of ordinary difficulty in operating school’s heating, ventilation, air conditioning systems (HVAC); performs related light labor duties. May perform the tasks of lower level custodial staff.
Reports to: Custodian Engineer or designated supervisor
- Operates and maintains low pressure boilers, all related HVAC equipment and domestic hot water systems.
- Assists with the testing, maintenance and inspection of all fire safety equipment, including fire alarms, sprinklers, standpipe systems and related equipment.
- Checks heating and ventilating equipment for proper working order. Repairs, cleans and assists in the maintenance of HVAC equipment.
- May cut and thread pipes and make minor repairs to plumbing and steam systems.
- Keeps tools, equipment and work area clean and in good condition.
- Performs general repair and maintenance work, as required.
- Assists with maintaining all building logs regarding school safety, fire, boiler and maintenance.
- May supervise unskilled or semi-skilled personnel assigned to assist in performing one or more of the maintenance duties illustrated above.
- Responds to emergencies as required.
- Maintains knowledge of Department of Education, Department of Buildings, Environmental Protection Agency, Fire Department of New York, New York SD codes and protocols.
- Performs related work.
Three years satisfactory experience working with steam boilers, hot water boilers or gas fired roof top HVAC systems or related experience. One (1) year supervisory experience overseeing custodial staff.
For certain New York City Public Schools, one or more of the following Certificate of Fitness issued by the New York City Fire Department may be required prior to employment:
- P-99 Low PSI Oil Burner
- S-95 Fire Alarm
- A-35 Air Compressor
- S-12 Citywide Sprinkler
- S-13 Citywide Standpipe
- Air Pollution (EPA)
NYCSSS provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements. NYCSSS complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
NYCSSS expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Additional Statement: Per New York State Law, NYCSSS will NOT seek any past salary history from any applicant or job candidate. NYCSSS holds the right to inquire about an applicant or job candidate salary expectations for any NYCSSS advertised job, position and/or role.